Saturday 18 December 2010

Good news and phobias

Yes good news. It looks like, all being well,  Dawn is going home on Tuesday. The end of one journey and the beginning of another. The relapse rate is 40 percent in the first year so Dawn is going to learn to live with this.

She is also going to learn to live with giving herself daily injections. Only last week I was half joking with a friend and saying that I was so phobic about having an injection that given the choice between death and an injection I would consider death a good option. My greatest fear is the needle. I am not afraid of death. But Dawn's situation has made me reconsider.  How would I choose given her circumstances? I doubt I would choose death.

We all have such different fears. Dawn and her partner have two children, have been together for twenty years but have not married. Her partner has commitment phobia. Realising that he might have lost Dawn has helped him to face his phobia and marraige is in the air.

When circumstances force us to  face our fears we have to reconsider our priorities. To allow our fears to rule our lives -  or to allow our lives to alter the face of our fears  .

No comments:

Post a Comment